"Just the knowledge that a good book is awaiting one at the end of a long day makes that day happier."

Sep 29, 2010

Book Review: I'd Know You Anywhere by Laura Lippman


What would you do if suddenly, after years and years of trying to forget, you were contacted by the person who destroyed every sense of safety and security you ever had? The person that changed your life in such a horrible way that they altered your entire being and forced you to live in fear the rest of your life, afraid to sleep with windows open or leave doors unlocked.

This is the case with this story's main character Elizabeth (Eliza) Benedict, an ordinary suburban housewife who spends her days chauffeuring her daughter Iso to soccer practice and chasing after her young son Albie. Married to a loving husband with a successful career, her life is peaceful and fulfilling, just how she likes it. That is until she receives a letter from the last person she would ever expect or want to hear from - Walter Bowman, a Virginia death row inmate who kidnapped her and held her hostage for six weeks when she was fifteen. After seeing her picture with her husband in a magazine, Walter writes to Eliza - "There was your photo, in a magazine. Of course, you are older now. Still, I'd know you anywhere."

Now awaiting his sentence on death row for the murder of his last victim, Eliza is skeptical and horrified by his attempts to make contact with her and his desire for reconciliation with Eliza who was his only victim to live and testify against him. Why did Walter spare Eliza's life, and what psychological games is he using as his last attempt to escape the death penalty? The author Laura Lippman takes a true crime and then weaves her own tale using perspective from both the victim and the perpetrator. This story reminded me of the Elizabeth Smart case in some ways.

As I was reading the book, different circumstances would occur and I would ask myself - what would I have done? What would I do if it was my daughter or family member? Is justice served after years and years of waiting?  I wouldn't classify it necessarily as a crime drama, it reads like a novel and it was definitely thought provoking and relevant to the world we live in today.

Overall Rating:
3 1/2 out of 5 bookmarks.

2 comments:

hatch said...

Wow Sarah part of me want to read this book, but part of me does not. I love your review though. I am excited you are doing this. I am always looking for a good book to read.

Sarah said...

It's not quite as scary as it sounds, but it definitely made me rethink all the times I walked somewhere by myself when I was younger.