"Just the knowledge that a good book is awaiting one at the end of a long day makes that day happier."

Sep 20, 2010

Fall Books

With the crisp fall weather and the chilly nights that accompany it, fall is the perfect time to enjoy some good book reading. I don't know if there are many things that can top cozying up with a blanket and a new story that's waiting to be delved into. Here are a few of my picks for some cozy (and maybe a little spooky) fall reading:

The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling
If you haven't read them yet, what is stopping you? They are honestly some of the most genius, intriguing, and entertaining books ever written. They are the epitomy of cozy book reading and definitely not just for the younger crowd.

The Day the Falls Stood Still by Cathy Marie Buchanan
This book is set in Niagara Falls during the World War I era. The main character Bess experiences a family tragedy and after her father loses his job, a fall in social class. She must make decisions that will affect her life forever. Everything changes when she meets the rough and fearless Tom Cole who is a master river man and who has a mysterious connection to the falls. I enjoyed this book, it was one that I could take my time on and not feel rushed and gave me an interesting look at the social classes and domestic life of the times.

The Passage by Justin Cronin
I was ready to say goodbye to Twilight and take on this grownup vampire thriller. This story centers on a new virus testing to create a super soldier staged by the military gone horribly wrong. With the world nearly destroyed, all hope rests with a 6 year old girl who is the only chance the survivors may have of saving what's left. The story follows the aftermath and destruction of the "virals" and spans forward into many, many years into the future and the new civilization the survivors have carried on with hoping that one day the military will come to save them. It was a mix between "I am Legend" and "The Road". I could not put this book down, it's definitely one you might not want to read if you're home alone at night. There are some instances of strong language and violence, so be forewarned. This is rumored to be a trilogy and also being made into a movie.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
The first chapter or so of this book I thought, what am I reading? But after settling in and getting used to the letter writing style that makes up the meat of the book I was totally captivated and intrigued. Set on the English island of Guernsey just after World War II which was under German occupational rule, this story follows the lives of the inhabitants and a writer who is receiving letters from them about their experiences during the war and their book club they formed. I was expecting this to be a sad and dreary tale of war, but instead was pleasantly surprised at what a heartfelt and cheerful feel it had to it. This was such a sweet story and one you could recommend to friends, parents, and grandparents alike.


So there are a few of my picks.
Feel free to comment about some of your favorite reads for fall as well.

2 comments:

tharker said...

I've heard that the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society {could the author maybe have chosen a longer title? sheesh.} is a good one.

I'm so excited to read your recommendations, Sarah!

Unknown said...

Great idea sarah! I'm going to put it on my local lovelies!