"Just the knowledge that a good book is awaiting one at the end of a long day makes that day happier."

Oct 4, 2010

Kendle's Favorite Books



In Kendle's downtime, I can almost always find her reading a book. I am glad there are so many wonderful children's books out there to choose from that are not only fun to read, but also sneak in lots of educational tidbits. If you asked her who one of her favorite fictional characters is, she would tell you she loves Geronimo Stilton. The Geronimo Stilton series are all she wants to read right now and luckily for her there are a lot of them.

Geronimo Stilton is a mouse who happens to be editor in chief of The Rodent's Gazette, the most famous newspaper on Mouse Island, but his true passion is to write books which all happen to become bestsellers. He likes to read books, listen to classical music, play golf, and collect antique 18th century cheese rinds. He hates to travel because he gets sea sick, car sick, and air sick but somehow still manages to get involved (through friends and relatives) in extreme adventures and travels all around the world. The books are written as though they were autobiographical adventure stories.

The series originated in Italy and have become the most popular children's book series in that country (even besting Harry Potter). They have now been translated into more than 35 languages. Although the series credits it's title character as the author, they are actually written by Elisabetta Dami. They are intended for readers in the 9-12 year old range, but if you have an avid younger reader they would enjoy them as well  as a read along or a read together at night type of book.

The books incorporate a lot of famous world landmarks and geography which have sparked many conversations between Kendle and I as she wants to learn more about those places and countries. The stories contain mystery, adventure, comedy, and problem solving as well. I would say they could be compared to some Indiana Jones and/or National Treasure type journeys. There are also some fun holiday themed stories in the series for Halloween, Christmas, and Valentine's Day. They are so cleverly written and the supporting characters are just as charming and interesting as Geronimo.

*Fun Facts:
-Geronimo Stilton must have cheese with every meal
-Geronimo loves one thing more than cheese -- books! He also loves hot showers and clean sheets.
-Geronimo prides himself on filling his books with plenty of humor and cheesy capers, but also with friendship, sincerity, love, respect, peace and hope.
-His favorite activity is reading to his nephew Benjamin.
-His younger sister is Thea Stilton, who accompanies him on many adventures. She is gutsy, adventurous, a black belt in karate, and has violet eyes. She is a special correspondent for the Rodent's Gazette. 

These are really witty, entertaining and well written books for children filled with the "cheesiest" puns ever. I highly recommend them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

have you guys read any of the 39 clues books? they have a national treasury feel to them too. and the final book came out so she can read them as fast as she can to get to the ending

Sarah said...

I think Kendle read the first one, I need to find more of them, I think I would like them too. :)