"Just the knowledge that a good book is awaiting one at the end of a long day makes that day happier."

Sep 27, 2010

Hunger Games Vs. Twilight

Entertainment Weekly online recently published an article in their book section explaining why the Hunger Games Trilogy is not the new Twilight.







Here is an excerpt:


"Could it be that people compare the two books because their heroines must choose between two men? Again, I don’t find this valid. Bella, it seems to me, never wavers in her love for Edward, despite Jacob’s devotion. In contrast,  I’m left with the feeling that Katniss may very well not know what love is at all. She may have been too badly damaged by war, by deprivation, by emotional and physical torture to ever be able to love fully and normally. Whatever she feels for Peeta or for Gale, it isn’t the headlong devotion Bella has for Edward.  More importantly, the question of whom Katniss will end up with isn’t what drives the narrative.  In other words, the question isn’t, Which one will she marry? The question is, Will she live until the end of the book?"


I thought it summed it up perfectly for me. Go here to read the full article.

4 comments:

::lindsay said...

I totally agree with this excerpt. I'm going to have to read the full article. So did you like Mockingjay? I'm curious. Lots of people didn't. I have to say I did. It was hastily wrapped up at the end, but I ultimately still liked it.

Anonymous said...

I wondered if Katniss would marry at all. I thought this series had the potential to have a "and she lived the rest of her life alone" ending.

Anonymous said...

i'll tell you the similarities of both books for me. didn't read them til after everyone else had! :) sounds like i'm at the point with hunger games!

Sarah said...

Lindsay-
I did like Mockingjay. I liked how it portrayed the rebel leaders as being just as corrupt (the whole absolute power corrupts absolutely thing)as the leaders in the capitol and that they were using Katniss for their own gain. I had a lot more sympathy for her character in Mockingjay than in the other books. She had to find out that Gale was kind of power hungry himself and she coudln't always trust him. That was kind of a sad part to me. The ending was kind of abrupt, but it kind of fit into the authors writing style with the whole trilogy. The ending was perfect in my opinion. Not to give any spoilers away for someone who hasn't read it yet, but her final move at the end of who she chooses to kill was classic Katniss.

Debbie-
I had the same thoughts about her ending up alone. Especially with all of the issues Peeta had in this book. I always felt like he loved her way more than she loved him, but then she was always the one saving him time and again so she just expressed it in a different way.